ECIO supports educational professionals in various ways in optimising the digital accessibility of educational institutions. For example, with videos, fact sheets, gideliness, articles, research, and the telephone help desk.
What does digital accessibility means for educational institutions?
Digital accessibility makes the difference for a large group of students whether or not they can study and complete their studies on time. More than 30% of the students have special needs, a third experience obstacles because of this. How do you take into account these students who, with their special need, cannot read documents digitally? What if students cannot hear sound or see videos? As an educational institution, you are obliged to ensure digital accessibility.This means that all students can use digital means of communication. These obligations are laid down in laws. Check ECIO’s overview of the various laws for accessible education.
What can ECIO do for you?
Training courses, workshops and study days for educational professionals on digital accessibility. A tailor-made training programme is also possible.This means that all students can use digital means of communication. These obligations are laid down in laws. Check ECIO’s overview of the various laws for accessible education.
What can ECIO do for you?
- Training courses, workshops and study days for educational professionals on digital accessibility. A tailor-made training programme is also possible; ECIO combines knowledge about higher education (accreditation), functional limitations and digital accessibility workshops and study days to raise awareness of digital accessibility.
- solutions for assessments, digitalisation and infrastructure
- policy sessions for creating commitment
- advice and guidance on the implementation of digitally accessible education.
For whom and with whom does ECIO work?
ECIO supports professionals in higher education and collaborates with various regional partners, student organisations, interest groups and companies.
- ECIO is facilitator of the Networking group Toegankelijk Toetsen en Examinseren [Accessible Testing and Examination network] and works closely together with higher and vocational education and training institutions.
- ECIO is an international partner in the networking group LINK (Learning Inclusively Network + Know-how). Together with partners from Europe and beyond, they work to improve the quality of services for students with disabilities in higher education.
- ECIO works together with Stichting Accessibility [Accessibility Foundation]. They are experts in the field of quality and accessibility of ICT. They provide training on high-quality and accessible websites for web editors, policy makers, web builders and designers.
- ECIO supports the online learning community IHO where higher education professionals share knowledge and collaborate on inclusive higher education.
Guidelines and tools for digital accessibility
ECIO supports educational professionals in various ways in optimising the digital accessibility of educational institutions.
- Brochure: How to contribute to inclusive and accessible education – teacher’s guide with tips
- Factsheet: UN Proof Education – What do you need to know as an educational institute?
- Factsheet: UN Proof Education – As a student, what do you need to know?
- Brochure: Improving digital accessibility in higher education
- Article: Distance teaching navigating new seas (resource: AHEAD)
- Infoline: for questions from education professionals in higher education for studying with a disability.
Overview of all English publications